Logan Paul will face MMA fighter Dillon Danis in a boxing match on Oct. 14 in Manchester, England, they announced Tuesday. Tommy Fury vs. KSI will be the other main event on the card. Here’s what you need to know:
- Paul has only fought professionally one time, a split decision loss to fellow social media star KSI in November 2019. He boxed legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. in an exhibition in June 2021 but no winner was declared.
- The 28-year-old has appeared in WWE over the last year, most recently defeating Ricochet at WWE SummerSlam last weekend in Detroit.
- Paul’s brother, Jake Paul, is also a professional boxer. He defeated former UFC star Nate Diaz via unanimous decision last weekend.
- Danis, a 2-0 Bellator MMA fighter, will be making his boxing debut. A former training partner of Conor McGregor, Danis is a jiu-jitsu black belt and decorated grappling champion.
What they are saying
“Almost two years after fighting the greatest boxer of all time, I am so pumped to return to the boxing ring on October 14 for this monster Misfits show,” Paul said in a statement. “Manchester, I hope you are ready for a night you will never forget because The Prime Card is delivering in a big way, with KSI and I on either side of a double main event. The world has seen the energy, athleticism and showmanship I’ve brought to WWE, but this October I plan on reminding everyone that I can bring it to boxing too.”
Added Danis: “I couldn’t care less what Logan Paul has done in the WWE, because when he is in the boxing ring, he is in a completely different world. It’s a world of pain, a world where he doesn’t have control and it’s my world, not his. On October 14, in Manchester, Logan Paul is getting beat down.”
The Athletic’s instant analysis:
Buy at your own risk
Look, I’m not one to tell people what to do with their hard-earned money. If you want to pay to see this matchup, that’s your call. At the very least this bout should be entertaining. But please remind yourself that this is social media/WWE star who has almost no boxing experience facing an MMA fighter with no boxing experience.
Danis would choke Logan out in a second if this was in a cage, but it’s not. I have no clue if Danis even knows how to throw a punch properly considering all of his time is spent on the mat. I’ll give the edge to Paul considering he’s actually boxed before and showed toughness against Mayweather (who wasn’t trying in the least).
With Fury and KSI also on the card, it could make for a fun night of seeing a social media star get destroyed in the ring. But let’s leave it at that.
- WWE’s Ricochet is an aerial show. His Logan Paul match could electrify SummerSlam
- Explained: Why Floyd Mayweather is boxing YouTube star Logan Paul
- Do Jake and Logan Paul have a boxing future? ‘Once he fights a real guy, I expect him to have serious problems’
(Photo: Jasen Vinlove/USA Today)