The Athletic delivers powerful stories and smart analysis that bring sports fans closer to the heart of the game. From breaking news and live commentary, to deeply-reported long reads and exclusive interviews, subscribers rely on The Athletic for every sports story that matters.
Local expertise and league-wide perspective
newsroom of 450+ full-time
staff delivers in-depth
coverage of hundreds of professional and college teams across more than 47 North American markets and all 20 football clubs in the English Premier League
, as well as many Championship clubs.
has every major league covered by award-winning
talent, spanning the NFL
, NCAA Football
, NCAA Men's College Basketball
, NCAA Women's College Basketball
, Champions League
and much more.
Get a taste of our game-changing sports news coverage:
What you'll love about The Athletic
- Select the teams and leagues you want to follow. Whether you’re crazy about Manchester United or the Minnesota Wild, we'll show you the most relevant sports news possible, including coverage you can't get anywhere else.
- Rely on The Athletic's highly-rated iOS and Android apps for scores, stats, breaking news, long-form features and audio offerings.
- Listen to podcasts from The Athletic for in-depth analysis and exclusive storytelling. Our experts dish on everything from women's soccer to fantasy baseball, and motorsports to hockey.
- Read Newsletters from The Athletic to keep up to date on the most important stories in sports and get personalized content recommendations.
- Engage with our journalists via Live Rooms and Live Q&A sessions. Ask real-time questions and get real-time answers, and see what your fellow fans have to say.
is the brainchild of Alex Mather and Adam Hansmann, former colleagues at the fitness tracking app Strava. In 2016, they founded The Athletic with the goal of building the best newsroom in sports, filling a void for fans hungry for deeper sports news and better coverage of their local teams. In 2022, The Athletic was acquired by The New York Times Company
. The Athletic
is available as a standalone subscription, or with an All Access or Home Delivery subscription
from The New York Times.